I do this blog for fun, the wines here are some of the very few I can be bothered to write up. The cream has risen.

Monday, September 27, 2010

The Wheatsheaf Barossa Valley Shiraz 2008

Bah, I was just about to write a review and I thought I'd check what the distributor had to say about it on their website, only to find out it's all gone! I'd bought this one looking for a quality quaffer to stop me dipping into my 'needs more time' cellar stocks.

Right, well to let you all know what you missed out on then.

Decanted for an hour, which is something I am trying to do as much as I can these days, and would recommend for all wines.

Lovely satsuma plum colour. Rich nose and the alcohol (15.5%) subtlely just letting me know it's there.  Typical Barossa black fruit and dark chocolate flavours, but enough tannin and acid to keep the fruit in check and give a lingering, dry and yet full flavoured finish.

I'd recommend it, if there was any left to buy! Despite buying as a quaffer I think I'm going to hide a bottle of this away for 5 years, and then probably kick myself some more when I decide I really should have bought a full case.

1 comment:

  1. This is available again, and for the discount price. I had a bottle the other night and for my money I'd say the best quaffer sub $10 this year.

    ReplyDelete