I do this blog for fun, the wines here are some of the very few I can be bothered to write up. The cream has risen.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Why More Red Sir?

Many red wine drinkers would have picked up on "More Red Sir" as a play on the name of the grape variety Mourvedre. Sometimes known in South Australia as Mataro.

This grape is extremely rarely used to make a straight varietal in Australia, but can often be found in blends. One such common Australian blend is GSM, which historically is a French Rhone style made from Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre.

I've only ever had one straight Mourvedre, but I thought it a fabulous variety on it's own and rather under rated.

I intend for this blog to be about wines and related topics that are perhaps a bit like Mourvedre - somewhat unknown, but hopefully interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment