I do this blog for fun, the wines here are some of the very few I can be bothered to write up. The cream has risen.

Monday, August 12, 2013

2012 Teusner Independent Shiraz Mataro

I was fortunate enough to first taste this with Kym Teusner, along with pretty much his full range of wines. It is staggering to see that he and his team has put together such an impressive range of truly great wines in a little over 10 years.

Before I talk about this wine, I also tasted the flagship 2011 Righteous Mataro. Kym was advised not to release it, with the 2011 bad vintage hoohah, and most wineries not releasing their flagships from that year. He felt that regardless of the overall vintage, the quality of fruit for that wine still deserved it's status as a flagship. It seems this wine is a bit polarising, I think it is one of the best wines I have ever had, but perhaps that's my bias to Mataro and great oak...time will tell though.

Short story, Kym is bloody talented - and humble enough to mention the other winemakers that helped him through the very tough vintage.

So, to the Independent, a wine specifically made for the independent retailers and not sold to the large chains, thus trying to help the small guys avoid a price war against the big boys with deep pockets.

Shiraz and Mataro in equal parts if memory serves correct. Black and brooding when dormant, but poke the beast and maroon blood stains the sides of the glass. Balsamic glazed plums accompanying a thick steak seared black on the barbie, sprinkled with fresh roasted ground star anise, nutmeg and brown cardamon seeds. That's the wine, and probably not a bad meal to have with it.

Better after a day's breathing - the wine, not the steak - lovely tannins, balanced acid and a just a delight to drink, especially with food. I liked this better than the 2012 Riebke, then again I bought both.

At $25 RRP this is a high VFM wine, especially this stellar vintage. Drink now or drink in 10 years.

Rating: Highly Recommended++

Note: not sure the 2012 is released yet, I have not tried the 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment