I do this blog for fun, the wines here are some of the very few I can be bothered to write up. The cream has risen.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Tim Smith MGS 2009

As I said on twitter, you know a wine is good when you've finished you first glass, (which you've poured to review), and not a word written yet.

(10 minutes later...second glass)

I seem to be having trouble describing this wine.

Ok, so I'm getting the typical Grenache red fruit aromas but there's a level of complexity added by the Mataro which is hard to describe, and therefore I'll throw out words like cedar, tobacco and old socks. I'm admitting right here to stealing the term 'old socks', it's what a friend uses when she can't describe a certain aroma. We reckon she means the kind of smell that Silton has, though somewhat more subtle in wines usually.

The flavour is savoury and spicy, but not peppery. The fruit is definitely there but slightly hanging back like the cute girl who hasn't worked out she's cute yet. The oak is hiding behind the cute girl. The tannins can't seem to decide what they want to do for me; at first I decided they're a bit clingy, then next taste I reckon they're just self assured, but quite frankly they're clearly female tannins cos they have me quite confused yet wanting more of whatever they want to give. 

There's probably a long lingering finish, but I seem to take another sip before the previous one fades.

Drink it with beef burgundy. I did.

Highly recommended. Very cellarable, 10 years at least.

* No MGS was harmed in the making of the boeuf bourguignon, though a pitiful wretch from Moppa Rd redeemed himself.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder MRS! I usually love this wine but haven't got round to sampling the '09 yet. Do you know if it's available from the usual stockists? Melbourne Street, East End Cellars et al?

    Cheers,
    Chris P

    p.s. love the cute girl who hasn't realised she's cute yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris, I got mine at Melb St. Cellars, but was the last bottle on the shelf so I'd ring first. Sorry for slow reply, I've been away.

    ReplyDelete